post thrombotic syndrome work/pip mobility uk

Posted , 7 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion


im 30 male uk and was diagnosed with DVT in my left leg in 2010, about 3/6 months later had multi pulmonary emboli in lungs and soon after pneumonia. Then in 2011  i was diagnosed with reoccurring clot.

 Since that day my leg swells 4 to 5 inches bigger then my other leg after i stand or walk for a abit. 

Im on warfarin for life and my INR is always in range 2.5 even with extreme swelling.

my leg is discoloured and has varicose veins and constantly warm and im still constantly short of breath. 

my legs like carrying round a log that turns to stone (dead weight) after a few hours.

Until last week i worked as a bouncer 2 nights a week (4/6 hours a shift) I'l get my final wage next week and then thats it.

Id get by mostly leaning on a wall and standing on 1 leg because of the extreme pain.

Id see people mocking (laughing in my face copying me ) how my leg appeared when swollen and when i walked (it looks like im walking with a prosthetic leg when swollen.

The pain gradually increases until its extreme!!!, it hurts unbearably just to take a step after a while.

I have to sleep for 2 days and elevate my leg for the swelling to go down and the pain to go away.

As the pain increases i cant fully stand straight on my left leg and my knees buckles when swollen.

My haematologist said i had post thrombotic syndrome.

The only benefit iv ever claimed was some work sick support (dnt know the name) for 2 months when i originally got my dvt and was off work. 

I continued to force my self to work even though i could honestly cry from the unbearable pain (standing 5 /10 hours ...the torture !! physically and mentally sealing my lip so no one notices (i would have been removed if i appeared weak and unwell) so i could buy my warfarin.

But im at wits end,the pain is the most its ever been and has become unbearable.

I wanted to know if i could claim personal independence payment mobility or any other benefit (uk)?

i looked at the pip form (it seems like id score zero on mobility) as i can walk 50m 200m at the start of the day. I have to stand/sit or walk for abit for my swelling and pain begin.

it can take 45 mins to 3 hours to reach the point i cant move at all and become immobile so i didnt know what to answer on pip online test.

please advise.

eternally greatful..

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

  • Posted

    Firstly must say that you are extremeny brave having been through what you have. Unfortunately I am. It in a position to advise you on your specific problem ( am very sorry). The only thing I do know is that you could maybe go to a citizens advice who helped me with my questions about benefits for an aged relative.

    In terms of post thrombotic syndrome, have you tried wearing support stockings and trying to do exercise like swimming and walking? It seems though that standing for long periods clearly is not good for you. There is a new treatment offered in London for post thrombotic syndrome which involves putting in a stent. See earlier posts from Sheila. Wish you luck in your continued struggles.

  • Posted

    Sorry to hear what you are going through. I guess all you can do is try but I do know is they are very strict nowadays.

    I personally would give it you but it isn't my decision.

    I have loads of warfarin if you would like it? I'd post it to you for free? Let me know

    As the post above says you could possibly ask if they could stent you. Ask your doctor for a referral to Michael Black at at Thomas in London.

    Wishing you all the best!

  • Posted

    Hi Dager sorry to hear about your difficulties. I too have PTS and my foot and leg feel like lead after standing. With the PIP you need to answer the questions as if it was your worst day rather than as if you were ok. In order to give them a true sense of your disability you need to tell them how it is at it's worst. I don't understand why you have to buy warfarin. Surely your GP will prescribe this? Sorry if I have got the wrong end of the stick. Good luck. John

  • Posted

    Hi Dager, sorry for your condition, certainly sounds like PTS. I have written loads about PTS as my son was badly affected a few years ago. He was diagnosed and treated by Mr Stephen Black at Guy's and St Thomas' hospital London. He had a stent in his vein which opened up and supported the vein so the circulation improved. He has  much improved. I have written on here the details of his recovery. Can't help with benefit, but sounds as if citizen's advice would be a good start. Good luck, Sheila. 

  • Posted

    Hi dager!

    You can claim pip for PTS. I have the same condition as you. I also have had a extensive blood clot in both my legs, the first clot I got in my left leg in 2014 went to my lung causing pulmonary embolism, my second clot I got in my right leg in 2016. I have a blood disorder called protein S deficiency, which I didn’t know I had till I got the dvts. I used to be on warfarin until they changed them to xarelto, which I’m on for life. I literally had to learn to walk again, which is a very slow and painful thing to do. I got enhanced rate on care & mobility pip. 

  • Posted

    Hello Dager

    You could try to get "Attendance Allowance" first.  Apply for documents in the post not online & then get an appointment with your local Citizens Advice Bureau, as they are experts in how to properly complete all Government forms for benefits.

    Take all medical appointment & consultant letters with you & ask someone you have known for sometime to do a support letter on how your health has change over the past 8 months or more, paying particular attention of how difficult it is having a bath or shower - getting up in the morning. Any struggles to experience. Standing for any length of time. Do you get extremely fatigued & breathless on exertion.  All these things are taken into consideration.  

    The CAB will assist you by asking questions you make think are not relevant & write it all up for you.  The Government bodies only function on facts & not emotions otherwise everyone would get everything they asked for.  The only thing you must be aware of is the documents they send will have a "Be in by Date" usually 6 weeks.  So, get onto it straight away. Set up your CAB appointment & good luck with it all. 

    I have a propensity to clot so my health has deteriorate over the past 8/9 months.  Have previously written much on my conditions which you can access by this site, including DVT's.

    The Best Of Luck. Be great to hear if you did apply. Attendance Allowance Telephone No: 0345 605 6055.

    This is to get them to send forms in the post.



    • Posted

      He cannot apply for attendance allowance, that’s for 65 and over, he said he was 30. He has to apply for personal independent payment.
    • Posted

      Thanks for that Maria. My mistake. Did not read post properly. 



  • Posted

    Sorry Dager.  You’re only 30 cannot apply for Attendance Allowance. Still try for PIP though using CAB.   I do apologise for not reading your post properly. 



Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.
newnav-down - newnav-up -