Posted , 13 users are following.
I was diagnosed with Esophagitis Stage 2, along with GERD, Heartburn, flatulence, chest pain.....etc. I could not eat many of the foods i like including spicy stuff, desserts, chips, chocolates....etc. I began envying others who could eat anything and everything. If I ate anything other than easily digestible stuff, I got extreme pain in the chest and burning sensation through the throat to the stomach. It was horrible and I was past simple Antacids and Proton pump Inhibitors available in the market.
Proton Pump Inhibitors such as Omeprazole, pantoprazole, lansoprazole all of them work on the same principle of reducing acid production so each of these need to be eaten before food. Ranitidine is a not a PPI and is an older generation antacid that works for simple gas, flatulence. When it becomes chronic, PPIs are usually prescribed.
Few Alternatives that worked for me and should work for you as well.
- Every morning after brushing, drink a glass of fresh and pure unadulterated ALOE VERA juice. Remember the Aloe vera juice packaged in HEB/Kroger/Walmart sometimes contains other fruit juices mixed and also a lot of preservatives. The purer the Aloe juice the better it is for GERD/Hearburn patients.
Tip: I usually add to 1/2 glass of water, 1/4 glass Aloe vera juice and 1/4 glass of AMLA juice(Indian gooseberry juice) for maximized effect.
Take 1 glass Aloe Vera juice whenever heartburn, gerd, flatulence, esophagitis symptoms increase. When you drink it ensure that you dont let air pass through, so you have to drink it in one gulp. This ensures that the Aloe vera juice coats your food pipe fully touching the Esophagus and stomach lining. When you give a gap, air also goes in and it is not so effective.
- Try to avoid processed foods, desserts, baked goods, oily stuff, fast foods, meats for a while till the issue is resolved. Also avoid Alcohol and smoking at all costs. No carbonated drinks as well.
- Drink lots of Watermelon juice, Buttermilk. Cut down on milk and curd. Anything that requires a lot of acid to digest is bad for you. Take the very easily digestible foods and drinks. Eat salads for few days.
- Drink warm water with half a lemon juice mixed with 1 capsule turmeric. Avoid cold water if possible along with cold beverages, coffee, sodas. Only drink luke warm water when possible during the day. See my explanation above on why you need to drink in one single gulp without air entering.
- Do deep breathing such that your lungs are full and you cannot take any more air and then exhale. Do this for 1 minute daily. Avoid anxiety, depression and tension and anger as much as possible as it precipates heartburn.
- Dont skip meals, and eat on time daily. If you skip breakfast or lunch and eat more of dinner the situation will become worse; Also I noticed that if I skip eating a meal, I tend to binge eat foods i like in the next meal to make up. This aggravates the issue, as more acid is produced by the stomach to now digest all the food.
Now after taking this for a month, I dont have the heartburn symptoms anymore and am off Antacids and PPI's. I am able to now eat few of the foods I love but I still regulate my food as if I binge the symptoms return and then I have to diet to control it.
7 likes, 19 replies